Wednesday 20 May 2009

The wonder of the creative process

I'm by no means a creative person AT ALL. But I think we all go through the creative process.
This is how mine usually goes.

Inspiration

A few days ago I bought a pack of 10 sheets of felt, and a couple days after that I got I bag of 40 brooch bars. Both just sat there staring at me, until I thought about making felt brooches. Not the most creative of ideas.

Research

So I went and did some, you may call it, market research. So I ended up deciding to make some animal felt brooches.

Idea development

On to the drawing board it was. I grabbed a white sheet of paper, and drew about 7 or 8 different outlines. I chose my favourite, and copied it with carbon paper.

I had 9 outlines. A fast Google image search gave me the idea of going for a jungle theme. So, about 20 minutes later I had a plan.

Prototype

Lots of felt cutting and sewing, and I had a first version of my original idea.


Prototype modifications


I kinda love the way the prototypes look, so I'm keeping them for good. At least for the time being.

And just for comparison, the design and the final product.

No comments:

Post a Comment